What Is A BIA
A BIA is an association of business people within a specified district who join together, with support from the City, in a self-help program aimed at stimulating local business.
Who can be part of a BIA?
Upon approval by City Council, every business automatically becomes a member. Everyone benefits, so everyone pays. A BIA arises from the retail and professional activities of a main street, but it also helps to stabilize and revitalize the surrounding community.
How does a BIA work?
Each BIA is administered by a volunteer Board of Management, made up of volunteer members of that BIA who are elected by their fellow BIA members and approved by City Council.
What is a BIA supposed to do?
The mandate of each BIA is to improve business conditions in their own area. As such, BIAs are vital to the economic health of Hamilton and have done much to improve the prosperity of neighbourhoods across the city.
- Promote the area as a business, employment, tourist or shopping area (through business directories, festivals, advertising)
- Offer graffiti and poster removal services respecting building facades visible from the street
- Manage the beautification of the street (including street banners, flowers in planters or hanging baskets, seasonal decorations, etc.
- Undertake safety and security initiatives within the BIA
- Undertake strategic planning initiatives necessary to address business improvement area (eg. business recruitment, market studies, capital plans)